The reason why I’m passing on drop shipping is because I’d prefer to source my own products direct from the manufacturer and cut out the middle man. I also see a lot of value in building my own brand (private labelling).
The intricacies of sourcing products from manufacturers in China (and elsewhere), and doing the whole export/import thing to serve Western markets goes beyond the scope of this article.
Compared to general affiliate marketing and even drop shipping, the risk of loss is higher and there are a lot more details to be aware of (product quality control, shipping and storage methods, inventory management etc). The logistics are a lot more complicated.
It’s certainly not the ideal starting point for someone who is completely new to selling via the internet. That being said, a lot of the skills you would acquire by starting out as an affiliate would serve you well if you ventured down the import/export and brand creation path down the road.
As an affiliate, you would learn..
- How to find profitable markets
- How to identify the needs of your customer base
- How to rank well in search engines
- How to perform “keyword research”
- How to build a mailing list and position yourself as an “authority” to your subscribers
- How to put together profitable ad campaigns using advertising networks
- How to use social media to generate traffic
Affiliate marketing is an ideal starting point for beginners.
If you don’t enjoy your current job, then you’re basically just selling your life away. People say that we’re a “product of our environment”, which is true, but our environments are also a product of our decisions. If you decide to do nothing, your environment will stay the same.
If you decide to take action however, then at least you’re making it possible for yourself to one day achieve financial freedom and be able to travel anywhere in the world without having to request permission from your “boss”.
1) Once again, if you’d like to learn more, you can click here and sign up for what’s considered to be the gold standard in affiliate training courses.
2) If you want to learn more about email marketing specifically, which is something I’ve personally been successful with, then hit up the course I’ve put together explaining how to do it.